Reanimated Lavender Granola Switchblade Nun rides again.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Strange House

I lived for years in a strange house
where the sun only rose when it would
and sporadically.

The fields around this strange house
were stunted, though I crouched and sang
Billie Holiday for the yellow shoots.

In the night--which lasted days at a time--
I wrote letters and mailed them at the foot of an oak.
In the Fall, I could not tell them from the leaves and acorns.

Winter came; then Spring. Fall followed,
then Winter, and Winter again.
I had a million scarves. Hundreds of boots. A candle. Half a ring.

Why did I stay? It seems so foolish now.
I made biscuits and pies just to fill the strange house,
if only with aromas. The sun rose less frequently.

Finally, a letter came. 
"Please leave now," it read.
And I did.

13 comments:

  1. Letters from the heart should always be read and taken seriously. This is a moody, swaying sort of piece that seems very organic, filled with images drawn from the natural world, but uncompromising as well, and as human as the face looking out of the mirror. I have burned down a few of those houses. At least then you can keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!💖 Especially; "In the night--which lasted days at a time--I wrote letters and mailed them at the foot of an oak. In the Fall, I could not tell them from the leaves and acorns" .. Beautifully executed!💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your image choices are all freighted with meaning and allusions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, i totally feel this poem. I have lived my share of winter houses. This is eloquent, wonderful and perfect. I love the letter that said "Please leave now." And that you did.

    P.s. i used to bake a lot too. But once i lived with dogs i didnt need to any more, for dogs know how to love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started loving the 2nd stanza the most. Then the 2nd and 3rd. Then I re-read it and decided the 2nd, 3rd and 4th were my favorites. Then I settled on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th as special favorites in this piece.

    I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderfully penned, from the heart and soul to Nature. Gracias

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when the whole poem is a metaphor. This is so, so well done, Shay. I've lived in this strange house too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds a bit like life today... we're all 'living the dream' but the pinched faces, chasing of our tails and trying to measure up to expectations set by society are anything but what we (should) dream...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all sometimes need to retreat to just such a strange house, or at least, it seems kind of familiar to me, metaphorically speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've received letters like that too - or was it a restraining order? Either way, I loved this evocative write.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha. That was funny. "Please leave now"... "and I did" hahahaa. That is too funny. I like it. How do I subscribe to your blog? I looked and can't seem to find anything that shows me where.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BP--on the side bar, look for "follow by email." >>>

    ReplyDelete

Spirit, what do you wish to tell us?